Success Rates In IVF
The most important factors determining the success of an IVF cycle are the woman’s age The most important factors determining the success of an IVF cycle are the woman’s age and quality of the embryos.These factors will vary from one couple to another and from one cycle to the next. Your individual circumstances will be unique. Our fertility specialist will be pleased to discuss your individual history with you and provide advice that is tailored to your needs.
How to Increase IVF Success Rates?
1. Avoid excessive physical activities such as jogging or lifting heavy things. You can practice yoga to relief your mind as well as improving your body blood circulation. Make sure you get enough rest.
2. Do not take medications or drugs without consulting your doctor because it may harm the implantation process and development of your embryo during the first 3 months of your pregnancy. Avoid herbal or traditional chinese medication.
3. Remember to take your progesterone medication daily and on time. This medication is insertion vaginally or by injection. Progesterone is essential for early implantation of your embryo.
4. Stop alcohol intake and smoking during your IVF cycle and throughout the pregnancy because both of these contain substances that may increase risk of failed implantation, miscarriage or abnormal baby.
5. Drink plenty of water to improve hydration, blood circulation and maintain cells integrity.
6. If your work involves a lot of traveling, stress and severe physical activities, you are advised to take one week leave after the embryo transfer.
7. Store the vaginal pessary in a cool place (below 20°C) to prevent deterioration of its efficacy.
8. Avoid intercourse for at least 3 weeks after the embryo transfer because semen contains prostaglandin which causes the uterus to contract and disturb implantation of the embryo.
9. Choose the centre that is near to your home, so that can reduce the stress of repeated travelling from your home to the IVF centre as it will affect the success rates. For an example, those who are staying in Klang are better to choose a centre within Klang rather than travel all the way to Singapore.
10. Seek infertility treatment early because increasing age will result in poor quality eggs and ivf success rates.
11. Soon after OPU, look out for the following:
Vaginal bleeding which is usually spotty and should not be more than 1/4 pad. If it is more than 1/4 pad, please consult our doctor. (Tel: 03-33412277)
Abdominal or tummy pain which is often due to leakage of blood from ovaries after OPU can be released by taking paracetamol 650mg. If the pain persists, consult our doctor. (Tel: 03-33412277)
If you follow the IVF treatment cycle and precautions above, it will increase your ivf success rate, and your success rate of achieving pregnancy is good.
Why IVF Cycle Failed?
The first IVF baby, Louise brown was born on July 25, 1978, until today over 3 million babies have been born using IVF. The IVF success rate was increase dramatically compare to the past. Today patient who undergo IVF cycle treatment are more likely to get pregnant then not.
However there still patient who required 2nd or 3rd IVF cycle. After this initial IVF cycle, every measure needs to be taken to improve the outcome of next cycle. Identification of factors that link to IVF cycle will help.
For normal endometrium to growth and be ready for implantation require adequate blood flow to the underlying spiral vessel, adequate estrogen level and no abnormalities of the uterus such as fibroid and congenital abnormalities. If the endometrium growth is poor then the patient can be treated using exogenous estrogen.
Sometimes the endometrium can be damage due to previous infection traumatic D & C. There will be fibrous adhesion between the uterine walls. This area would have absence of endometrium to prevent implantation. This uterine adhesion and Ashermann syndrome can be easily diagnosed using hysterosalpingogram (HSG) or hysteroscopy.
The adhesion can be removed surgically followed by IUCD insertion to prevent readhesion. However, there are still some patients who have normal uterus, normal uterine blood flow, good estrogen level & yet the endometrium remain persistently. This is because the end organ damage and the endometrium do not response to estrogen in normal way.