How to Increase IVF Success Rates?
1. Avoid excessive physical activities such as jogging or lifting heavy things. You can practice yoga to relieve your mind as well as improve your body's blood circulation. Make sure you get enough rest.
2. Do not take medications or drugs without consulting your doctor because it may harm the implantation process and development of your embryo during the first 3 months of your pregnancy. Avoid herbal or traditional Chinese medication.
3. Remember to take your progesterone medication daily and on time. This medication is insertion vaginally or by injection. Progesterone is essential for the early implantation of your embryo.
4. Stop alcohol intake and smoking during your IVF cycle and throughout the pregnancy because both of these contain substances that may increase the risk of failed implantation, miscarriage, or abnormal baby.
5. Drink plenty of water to improve hydration, and blood circulation and maintain cell integrity.
6. If your work involves a lot of traveling, stress, and severe physical activities, you are advised to take one week's leave after the embryo transfer.
7. Store the vaginal pessary in a cool place (below 20°C) to prevent deterioration of its efficacy.
8. Avoid intercourse for at least 3 weeks after the embryo transfer because semen contains prostaglandin which causes the uterus to contract and disturb the implantation of the embryo.
9. Choose the center that is near to your home, so that can reduce the stress of repeated traveling from your home to the IVF center as it will affect the success rates. For example, for those who are staying in Klang better choose a center within Klang rather than travel all the way to Singapore.
10. Seek infertility treatment early because increasing age will result in poor quality eggs and IVF success rates.
11. Soon after OPU, look out for the following:
Vaginal bleeding is usually spotty and should not be more than 1/4 pad. If it is more than 1/4 pad, please consult our doctor. (Tel: 03-33412277)
Abdominal or tummy pain which is often due to leakage of blood from ovaries after OPU can be released by taking paracetamol 650mg. If the pain persists, consult our doctor. (Tel: 03-33412277)
If you follow the IVF treatment cycle and precautions above, it will increase your ivf success rate, and your success rate of achieving pregnancy is good.
Why IVF Cycle Failed?
The first IVF baby, Louise Brown was born on July 25, 1978, until today over 3 million babies have been born using IVF. The IVF success rate increased dramatically compared to the past. Today patients who undergo IVF cycle treatment are more likely to get pregnant than not.
However, there are still patients who required 2nd or 3rd IVF cycle. After this initial IVF cycle, every measure needs to be taken to improve the outcome of the next cycle. Identification of factors that link to the IVF cycle will help.
For normal endometrium to grow and be ready for implantation requires adequate blood flow to the underlying spiral vessel, adequate estrogen level, and no abnormalities of the uterus such as fibroid and congenital abnormalities. If the endometrium growth is poor then the patient can be treated using exogenous estrogen.
Sometimes the endometrium can be damaged due to previous infection or traumatic D & C. There will be fibrous adhesion between the uterine walls. This area would have an absence of endometrium to prevent implantation. This uterine adhesion and Ashermann syndrome can be easily diagnosed via a hysterosalpingogram (HSG) or hysteroscopy.
The adhesion can be removed surgically followed by IUCD insertion to prevent re-adhesion. However, there are still some patients who have a normal uterus, normal uterine blood flow, and good estrogen level & yet the endometrium remains persistently. This is because the end-organ damage and the endometrium do not respond to estrogen in the normal way.